05.02.2024: The Local Government Association (LGA) is to hold a special online session with UK Music to highlight the economic and cultural benefits of music tourism.
Here, There and Everywhere: How Can Councils Support Music Tourism? will take place on Monday February 26, 2-3:30pm and will outline how local authority leaders can use existing funding and spaces to drive growth in the music sector and visitor economy.
The event follows UK Music’s Here, There and Everywhere report, published in July 2023, which documented the value of music tourism to local economies. The report revealed that music in the UK pulled in over 14 million “music tourists” and generated £6.6 billion of spending in 2022.
A key part of the report focused on the action that towns and cities could take to use music to help turbo-charge their local economies and support jobs. A special toolkit outlined how local authorities could utilise existing funding and spaces to help music thrive across the UK.
The session will highlight the economic and cultural benefits of music tourism, providing strategic insights for community development.
UK Music will present more details about the toolkit and its benefits, while expert speakers from different councils and political parties will share insights, showcase successful case studies and best practice. Attendees will learn how to leverage their region’s musical assets, festivals, and venues to attract tourists to help support local economies and businesses.
The confirmed speakers include:
- Cllr Julie Jones-Evans, Vice-Chair, LGA Culture, Tourism and Sport Board and Cabinet Member for Levelling Up, Regeneration, Business Development and Tourism, Isle of Wight Council (Chair)
- Tom Kiehl, Interim Chief Executive, UK Music
- Hannah McLennan, Interim Head of Public Affairs, UK Music
- Sarah Lovell, Lead Officer for Culture, Policy and Strategic Commissioning Directorate, Liverpool City Region
- Cllr Max Wilkinson, Cabinet Member for Economic Development, Culture, Tourism and Wellbeing, Cheltenham Borough Council
LGA members and Government departments can sign up to the online event free here. It is £79 +VAT for non-members.Back to news