Established in 2015, with Chair Keith Harris OBE, the Taskforce works with the music business, Government and other stakeholders to boost inclusion and diversity across the industry.
It includes representatives from the core industry sectors: major and indie record labels, music publishers, trade organisations, collection societies and the British live music industry.
In 2016, UK Music undertook the first industry-wide workforce diversity survey, focusing on gender and ethnicity. The latest survey was published in 2018.
In 2019 Keith Harris stepped down as Chair and Ammo Talwar MBE was appointed as the new Chair. The Deputy Chair of the Taskforce is Paulette Long OBE.
The UK Music Diversity Taskforce will collectively improve equity, diversity and inclusion across the music industry workforce for everyone.
It will achieve this by:
- Producing a biennial report on diversity in the music industry.
- Driving change through an evidence-based approach which includes lived experience.
- Regular communication with the music industry and broader creative industries to highlight best practice and the benefits of a diverse workforce.
- Seeking to improve representation at all levels of the industry workforce, including senior management and Board level.
- Working with trade bodies, Government and the broader sector on the benefits of inclusivity to support music industry growth.
- Dedicated work streams, for example the sharp focus on gender and race in line with the UK Music Ten-Point Plan
Members of the Diversity Taskforce
As of November 2022: Jude McArdle (AIM), MJ Olaore (BPI), Gennaro Castaldo (BPI), Aleksa Evele (FAC), Tom Ward (The Ivors Academy), Graham Davies (The Ivors Academy), Paul Bonham (MMF), Anneliese Harmon (MMF), Helen Choudhury (MPA), Ramera Abraham (MPG), Eve Horne (MPG), John Shortell (MU), Tomi Oyewumi (PPL) Suzanne Hughes (PRS for Music), Janeace Thompson (PRS for Music), Louisa Starling (PPL/PRS), Charlotte Edgeworth (Sony), Antoinette Boateng (Warner), Natasha Mann (Universal), Wozzy Brewster (Independent / Midi Music Company), Anthony Emms (Independent / CAA), Ele Hill (LiveNation), Paul Hawkins (Attitude is Everything), Vick Bain (Independent), Kienda Hoji (Independent), Indy Vidyalankara (Independent), Mervyn Lyn (Independent).
The UK Music Diversity Taskforce has a blog series called Voices: