Established in 2015, with Chair Keith Harris OBE, the Taskforce works with the music business, Government and other stakeholders to boost inclusion and diversity across the industry.
It includes representatives from the core industry sectors: major and indie record labels, music publishers, trade organisations, collection societies and the British live music industry.
In 2016, UK Music undertook the first industry-wide workforce diversity survey, focusing on gender and ethnicity. The latest survey was published in 2018.
In 2019 Keith Harris stepped down as Chair and Ammo Talwar MBE was appointed as the new Chair. The Vice-Chair of the Taskforce is Paulette Long OBE.
The UK Music Diversity Taskforce will collectively improve equity, diversity and inclusion across the music industry workforce for everyone.
It will achieve this by:
- Producing a biennial report on diversity in the music industry.
- Driving change through an evidence-based approach which includes lived experience.
- Regular communication with the music industry and broader creative industries to highlight best practice and the benefits of a diverse workforce.
- Seeking to improve representation at all levels of the industry workforce, including senior management and Board level.
- Working with trade bodies, Government and the broader sector on the benefits of inclusivity to support music industry growth.
- Dedicated work streams, for example the sharp focus on gender and race in line with the UK Music Ten-Point Plan
Members of the Diversity Taskforce
As of November 2021: Jude McArdle (AIM), Gennaro Castaldo (BPI), MJ Olaore (BPI), Aleska Evele (FAC), Graham Davies (Ivors Academy), Paul Bonham (MMF), Olga Fitzroy (MPG), Ramera Abraham (MPG), Eve Horne (MPG), John Shortell (MU), Kate Reilly (PPL), Kevin Underwood (PPL PRS), Louisa Starling (PPL PRS), Colin Campbell-Austin (PRS for Music), Michelle Escoffery (PRS for Music), Stefania Pavlou (PRS for Music), Jamie Njoku-Goodwin (UK Music), Rachel Bolland (UK Music), Pauk Hawkins (Attitude is Everything), Anthony Emms (CAA), Vick Bain (Freelance), Indy Vidyalankara (Indypendent PR), Ele Hill (Live Nation), Wozzy Brewster (Midi Music Company), Charlotte Edgeworth (Sony Music), Mervyn Lyn (Strategic Partnership Ltd), Pete May (Universal), Ray Pope (Universal), Kienda Hoji (University of Westminster), Erica Bone (Warner Music).