11.01.2021: UK Music Chief Executive Jamie Njoku-Goodwin has called for clarity following claims that the UK Government rejected an EU deal that would have given touring acts visa-free travel on the Continent.
The Independent reported on Saturday that an EU source said the UK that refused to accept European acts having 90 days of visa-free travel. Read here.
The move was condemned by many including the Musicians’ Union who said the deal would have saved acts from expensive post-Brexit red tape that could even put some tours in jeopardy.
The UK Government said last month their proposal to include musicians was rejected by the EU. An EU source claimed in The Independent that its own proposal had been dismissed by the UK side. But the UK then countered with a strong denial. Read here.
Jamie Njoku-Goodwin said that, despite the differing accounts of what has happened, both parties had said they wanted to ensure musicians could continue touring freely.
He said UK Music would continue to seek answers and clarity about what has happened and press both sides to come together to urgently resolve this situation with a supplemental agreement on cultural activities between the UK and the EU.
Jamie Njoku-Goodwin said:
“The burdensome red tape and added costs of these new regulations is already putting future tours at risk and making it harder for musicians and their crews to tour abroad. This not only impacts artists themselves – it could also have a devastating impact on the UK’s world-leading live music scene, which relies on attracting global talent.
“No one wins from imposing barriers to touring musicians and their crews, and this is impacting both British and European artists – so the current situation is a lose-lose for both the UK and the EU.
“Who is at fault is irrelevant, and a blame game helps no one. The important thing is that both sides appear to genuinely want this issue sorted, so it is imperative that they get around a table and urgently agree a solution.”Back to news