UK Music published its Diversity Report 2022, which alongside revealing the data from the UK Music Workforce Diversity Survey, also highlighted some of the fantastic campaigning work that’s been taking place, which includes the Neko Trust.
Neko is a charity with a vision for a more sustainable live music industry underpinned by a workforce representative of the UK population. Its mission is to help the next generation of talent reach their potential, no matter who they are or where they come from.
The charity launched its education and training umbrella Neko Futures in 2021. It aims to accelerate career opportunities in the live music industry for a diverse group of individuals. In 2022 Neko ran the Future Crew programme in partnership with Gallowglass, the largest and foremost Event Crewing company in the UK and mainland Europe.
The training scheme aimed to support diverse beneficiaries from low socio-economic backgrounds into backstage careers while giving them a chance to earn. It aimed to help participants gain qualifications and workplace skills that could lead to tangible and sustainable employment.
Key participant statistics:
- 80% developed new skills and have a stronger network
- 80% achieved industry qualifications.
- 60% were introduced to new career opportunities.
- 30% female or non-binary, 70% male
- 50% black/global majority
- 80% from 40% most deprived households
- 50% in receipt of Universal Credit or Benefit Support
- 20% were known care-givers
Key results were:
- 80% of participants developed new skills and have a stronger network as a result of Future Crew
- 60% of participants were introduced to new career opportunities
Find out more about Neko Trust here.
Read the UK Music Diversity Report here.Back to news