Following the creation of the Sheffield City Region Music Board, UK Music were asked to produce an independent report into the music sector across the region.
The Sheffield City Region Music Report was launched on Thurs 19 December by Tom Kiehl, Deputy CEO of UK Music.
The report detailed five recommendations that the music board could take forward. These are:
• Opportunities for emerging talent – ensuring that all young people, regardless of their background, should have access to music in education and should be able to pursue a career in music.
• Protecting grassroots music venues - offering business rate relief and help with licencing to venues as well as improving accessibility at venues for deaf and disabled audiences and performers.
• Developing music businesses – leverage powers to support the growth of the music businesses which in turn will increase employment and productivity.
• Integrating Transport – creating a transport system that is fit for purpose and that supports the night time economy.
• Reaching out to every corner of the region – Mapping all music activity across the region recognising that different parts of the region have different needs and challenges.
Read the report HERE.