25/01/18: UK Music says MPs’ report on Brexit is a “wake-up call” for the Government and swift action is needed following the publication of the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee into Brexit.
The DCMS Committee’s report focuses on “the potential impact of Brexit on the creative industries, tourism and the digital single market”.
The key recommendations in the report include:
• The Government should seek to retain free movement of people during any transitional period after 2019
• The Government should clarify its position on whether EU Intellectual Property should be transposed into UK law
• If Intellectual Property law is not to be transposed, the Government must develop contingency plans to ensure that the current level of IP protection remain unchanged following the UK’s departure from the EU
• The Government should clarify how it intends Intellectual Property enforcement should operate after the UK leaves the EU
• The Government should set out more clearly how post-Brexit trade links can be improved
Commenting, UK Music chief executive Michael Dugher said:
“This important report by the influential cross-party DCMS Select Committee is a wake-up call to the Government about the potential threat that Brexit poses.
“This includes the damage that costly and bureaucratic barriers could have on international touring and our hugely successful live music sector. That is why it is welcome that the Select Committee has acknowledged the need for free movement of people to be retained during any transitionary period. Equally, the copyright framework forms the backbone to the music industry’s £4.4 billion success. So there must be guarantees that the protections afforded by EU law will be maintained.
“Going forward, post-Brexit does present an opportunity to develop new trading relationships across the world. It is vital that the Government work with industry to maximise this potential if we want to protect and grow the global success story that is British music.”
You can read the full report here.Back to news