We want to ensure that every young person in the UK has access to music sector-endorsed information, advice and guidance about the broad range of careers available.
UK Music Careers Information Pack
UK Music has created a UK Music Careers Information Pack as a guide for young people who want to get into the music industry.
Oliver Morris, Director of Education at UK Music explains a bit more about the education pack below.
BBC Music Introducing LIVE
UK Music runs the Careers Fair at BBC Music Introducing LIVE.
In 2018 UK Music started running the Careers Fair at BBC Music Introducing LIVE and returned again in 2019.
In 2018 students from Bucks New University filmed the event.
There’s never been a more exciting time to get a job in the music industry. Not only are the creative industries booming but careers in music are getting ever more varied. If you love music you can find your place.
The music industry needs creatives of course but it also relies upon a range of other roles to keep the music flowing. There are roles available for those who love law and contracts, if you are good at managing people and processes, if your thing is design and media or if you know one end of a sound system from another. Whether you’re into lighting and staging, supporting artists to find their voice, recording and mixing tunes or managing accounts in a fast-paced business then this could be for you. The music industry also needs data experts, accountants, instrument technicians, venue managers, security staff, electricians and carpenters, caterers, managers… THE LIST GOES ON!!!
There is a world of opportunity within the music industry and we hope the job profiles provided here will show you just some of the potential roles YOU could take on in the future.
There are links to each of the relevant UK Music members at the bottom of the job profile pages for more information. We also recommend that you check out UK Music’s Music Academic Partnership members if you like the sound of any of these roles – many will teach a course that will set you on the right path.
- A&R Assistant
- Copyright Assistant
- Digital Marketing Manager
- Instrumental Teacher
- Junior Product Manager
- Live Event Technician
- Member Services Representative
- Music Manager
- Music Producer
- Orchestra Musician
- Research Officer
- Royalties Assistant
- Session Musician
- Sync Assistant
- Project Co-ordinator
- Music Data Administrator
Jobs & Opportunities
- AEG – https://www.linkedin.com/company/aeg/careers
- AIM – http://www.musicindie.com/resources/jobs-board/
- Arts Jobs – http://www.artsjobs.org.uk/
- Beggars Group – http://www.beggars.com/group/jobs
- Boiler Room – https://boilerroom.bamboohr.co.uk/jobs/
- BPI – https://www.bpi.co.uk/news-analysis/current-vacancies/
- CC Skills – https://ccskills.org.uk/
- DiVA – http://www.divaapprenticeships.com/
- Handle – https://www.handle.co.uk/
- Little Concert – https://www.littleconcert.com/
- Live Nation – http://www.livenationentertainment.com/careers
- MPA – https://mpaonline.org.uk/careers/
- Music Business Worldwide – http://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/jobs
- Music Market – http://www.artsandmedia.org/home
- Musicians’ Union – https://www.musiciansunion.org.uk/Home/Advice/Your-Career
- Noise – http://www.noisefestival.com/jobs
- Working with PPL – http://www.ppluk.com/en/About-Us/Work-For-Us/
- Jobs at PRS for Music – http://www.prsformusic.com/aboutus/ourpeople/workingforus/Pages/default.aspx
- Sony Music – http://www.sonymusic.co.uk/careers
- About working for Universal Music – http://www.umusic.co.uk/who-we-are/working-for-us
- Universal Music HR website – https://umusiccareers.com/templates/universal_music/welcome.aspx
- UK Music Internship code of Practice – http://www.ukmusic.org/skills-academy/internship-code-of-practice/
- UK Music Apprenticeship Scheme – http://www.ukmusic.org/skills-academy/apprenticeships/
- Warner Music – http://www.warnermusiccareers.com/careers
- To discover more about careers in the creative industries go Creative Careers
- Creative & Cultural Skills is an independent charity and licensed Sector Skills Council: ccskills.org.uk
- For more information on the CC Skills National College go to :ccskills.org.uk/national-college
- To find out more about the different job roles in the sector and advice from industry experts please visit the Get Into Music website.
- For an overview of the many functions in record labels, careers advice and job opportunities you can visit the BPI’s website. Their On Track service is a one stop shop for anyone looking to work in the industry.
- BIY People & Talent provides tailored HR, Recruitment & People Development advice to companies across music and creative industries, because one size doesn’t fit all, and bigger isn’t always better.
Check out the video below for some advice on how to make it in the live industry.
Paul Latham, former COO of Live Nation shares his top 5 top tips:
Live Nation is one of the leading global live entertainment companies. You can find out more at: livenationentertainment.com
UK Music very occasionally provides paid work experience for short periods at our HQ in London. Should an opportunity occur and if you would like to be considered, please send your CV to email@example.com.