MAP is a ground-breaking collaboration between a select group of educational institutions and the membership of UK Music. Its focus is on preparing individuals who want to build careers out of their passion for music.
In the drive for economic growth, Government asked British industry to design and develop its own growth-focused skills programmes. Closer collaboration with academic institutions is considered key. UK Music answered first by launching the CBI-backed Skills Academy in 2013 and now this unique Music Academic Partnership (MAP).
Our study Measuring Music reported that 119,020 people were employed in the music industry in 2016. The vast majority were musicians, composers, songwriters and lyricists (70,700). Businesses in today’s modern industry are looking for an extremely qualified and skilled workforce to support music talent. Many of the musicians, composers, songwriters and lyricists are their own small business.
The industry and the skills needed today are far more technical than they were ten years ago. Entry level opportunities are limited. The vast number of businesses are SMEs. The market is fierce.
MAP is designed to maximise the employability of the students enrolled in those institutions; and future-proof the music industry by ensuring new entrants have the right mix of experience and skills most needed.
Benefits of MAP to academic institutions and students:
• Help educational institutions attract the brightest and best UK and international students, by demonstrating their close ties with the music industry
• Help ensure graduates are more employable in the music industry by offering them opportunities to participate in the industry ‘in action’
• Provide a platform for world-class collaborative research projects to address pertinent industry issues
• Provide a network to share ideas and communicate at a national and international policy level
• Help young people wishing to pursue a career in the music industry decide which courses and institution best suits their needs
• Reap the wider benefits of a long-term partnership between the music industry and educational institutions
To find out more about MAP and how to join click here