Funding of the Arts and Heritage
DATE: September 2010
UK Music Reponse: Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee Inquiry: Funding of the Arts and Heritage
• In the short term, cuts in support for the arts will lead to less support for artists and musicians to develop their talent; and fewer opportunities for audiences to be enriched from artistic experiences.
• In the longer term, a significant reduction in public support for the arts could lead to a diminution off the range and quality of the
• UK Music believes that the system and structure of funding could be improved and we make specific recommendations.
• Businesses and philanthropists can and do play a long-term role in funding arts but are not a substitute for public subsidy.
• The Select Committee invite comments on the abolition of the Film Council. UK Music admires many of the achievements of the UK Film Council and sees the benefits that a strategic body can bring to a sector with growth potential.
Click on the below link to view the full response document: